Monday, July 7, 2014

Another Use for Milk Cartons



Like most guys who have a compulsion to fix and fiddle with things, i’ve put together my own handy-tool, gad about. 

Quite a few handymen i’ve encountered use the plastic tub and canvas pouch method.  Big tools are dumped in the heavy plastic container around the rim of which they drape some waist strap tool belt.  I preferred to use a caddy which had been part of a large tote-box.




The only problem with my caddy was that it was exposed and not stackable.  Another annoyance was that, if set on the ground, it was a little inconvenient to pull out and access the sliding tray.

I spied a milk carton.....  But damn, if it wasn't an 1/8 of an inch too narrow at the widths.  I built a wood box the size of the milk carton plus 1/8th.   But it turned out to be too heavy.

So...to hell with it.  I had other things to do.  Until yesterday when I looked at the gad about and thought to myself: Project Uncomplete. 

So, I went about shaving off 1/8th of an inch of plastic from the caddy, and cutting slats in the milk carton where appropriate.  Et voilá




The whole thing is on rollers and, of course, a second milk carton containing larger tools -- drills, skill saws and the like -- can be set on top of the first.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment